NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Crazy catch at Lk Hopatcong (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117774)

TD 02-20-2022 07:05 PM

Crazy catch at Lk Hopatcong

2 Attachment(s)
Decent ice fishing year...been going every weekend since mid January. Mostly perch, sunnies, and some nice pickerel. Today was a first for me. Monster carp through the ice. A new tip up that has not caught any fish this year produced a gem. 3pm, I see my tip up rock. I thought it was the wind. It did it again...I walked over and bam flag up and spinning. I set the hook and this thing is tearing line. It was running so fast the line cut my fingers. I bring it to the hole, and I see it is a huge carp. I have a 5 inch diameter hole. Not coming through. I fight it for 10 minutes. Never thought I would land this guy, I only had 6 pound test leader. No way I was going to touch that mono. Another ice fisherman and his son saw me struggling. They brought their auger over and cut a 7 inch diameter hole butting up to mine. I was finally able to get it up and through the ice. Thank Jack and his son Jack for the assist. I did not have a tape measure...not sure how big it was, but it was a tank. Cannot believe it hit a shiner. On a side note, I caught 4 perch and 1 sunny.

nate01 02-20-2022 07:10 PM

Re: Crazy catch at Lk Hopatcong

Whoa man that’s an awesome catch

icebadger 02-21-2022 01:21 AM

That is a hell of a fish on 6lb leader. it was nice of that other angler to lend a hand getting that thing on the ice. great catch congrats.

bulletbob 02-21-2022 08:27 AM

nice tanker... I used to think that carp "didn't eat fish" years ago.. Then I saw guys catching huge ones on large minnows, -several of them if I remember correctly.. Also over the years i have caught several on minnow type lures, Rebel, Rapala etc, that they chased, and inhaled just like a bass might do.
i think that Carp are opportunistic and will eat anything thats just lying there waiting to be eaten, especially this time of year... Anyway, it made a nice memory for you... bob

Detour66 02-21-2022 10:42 AM

That's one heck of a fish and one hell of a story. Who would think you would catch a carp in the winter? That's the beauty of fishing. You never know what you might catch!

FASTEDDIE29 02-21-2022 06:41 PM

Hahahaha! This is great! Congrats on that slob Carp through the ice. Crazy things definitely happen out there. This is one of them. Great friggin catch! :D

Rich196 02-22-2022 12:35 PM

WOW...Awesome

bulletbob 02-22-2022 04:45 PM

Carp are NOT a "warm water" fish.. They are native to Russia and much of northern Eurasia,, They tolerate extremely cold water, and are quite active .. If guys actually fished traditional carp baits and rigs under the ice, there would be a lot more caught than most fishermen might think... bob

Chrisper4694 02-24-2022 11:18 AM

this happened to my buddy on his jigging rod a few years ago hahaha