NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   NJ Landlock Record (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116837)

Billfish715 10-03-2021 10:24 AM

NJ Landlock Record

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this picture in a Facebook post. I understand that it being considered as a new state record landlock salmon. I don't know the backstory but Wow, that is one heck-of-a fish. For it to have been caught in NJ is even more impressive.

Kudos to the angler and to the NJDFW for their stocking program and visionary plans.

dakota560 10-03-2021 12:12 PM

Re: NJ Landlock Record

Absolutely beautiful fish! Like I posted in the other thread, won't be long before a 15 lb. is caught in NJ. Don't know how big that fish is but it's a beast. Had one last year that jumped clear of the water when it hit, had him half way in and like nothing he peeled 50-60 ft of line in about 5 seconds and got me wrapped around something on the bottom. These fish are eating machines, stong as they come with that large tail and have significant growth rates in deep cold water lakes with sufficient forage.

Exactly why in my opinion, and I know there's people who don't agree with this, in the three bodies of water other than Merrill with a 12" size minimum it should be changed to either 15" like Merrill or all 4 impoundments increased to 17". This fishery if managed properly could become the best trophy fishery in the state.

Congrats to the angler on truly a catch of a lifetime!

bulletbob 10-03-2021 01:11 PM

wow, thats a 10+ fish by the look of it.
Even up here in our massive 40 mile long lakes, that is a once in a lifetime trophy.
My best is maybe 9 pounds and it was smaller than this one.
Thats an old male, and I have NO idea how it survived to get to that size in the high pressure small waters of NJ... Kudo's to the NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife.. What they have done with the limited fresh water resources they work with in NJ is just beyond amazing.

Jigman13 10-03-2021 02:52 PM

What lake was that caught? Theyll get gargantuan in Merrill.

dakota560 10-03-2021 03:26 PM

MC

bigfishy 10-03-2021 03:31 PM

Gr8 catch being a record!! Cant tell how big really...tail doesn't look huge compared to his fingers...if its pushed out further it could pass fer 12lb..I'll say 7-8ish maybe...not knowing at all what the record was

Wilson 10-03-2021 03:38 PM

This is the CURRENT record.

The New Jersey DFW has certified the catch of a new state record freshwater fish! This Landlocked Salmon replaced a record which stood for 67 years and is the first record salmon since stocking began in 2006.

Runelvy Rodriguez of Northvale, New Jersey, reeled in the record Landlocked Salmon on June 2, 2018. The fish weighed in at 8 pounds, 5 ounces, eclipsing the previous state record of 8 pounds set in 1951! The fish measured 25.75″ in length and had a girth of 15″. Runelevy was fishing off a boat on Lake Aeroflex when she reeled in the fish. The fish hit while Runelevy was trolling. She was using an Okuma rod and reel. A spoon served as the lure.

Jigman13 10-03-2021 03:52 PM

Didn't they just start LL stocking in MC like 3 or 4 yrs ago? That's a terrifying growth rate lol. Mahi-like.

dakota560 10-03-2021 04:27 PM

Correct MC was the last of the four added to the program and stocking started 3-4 years ago......supposedly. They're absolutely a gorgeous fish. Tremendous fishery, kudos to F&G for developing it.

bigfishy 10-03-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigman13 (Post 563521)
Didn't they just start LL stocking in MC like 3 or 4 yrs ago? That's a terrifying growth rate lol. Mahi-like.

My thoughts exactly....those of us that fish it know when they started stocking and have caught some every season and seen the growth rate.....maybe they put a few in that started at 20+".... only the stockers know