NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Best Of (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The history of jigging Blackfish in NJ as I know it (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94234)

fishingmortgageman 12-24-2016 08:52 AM

The history of jigging Blackfish in NJ as I know it

This is a story told from only one side. I am sure that many of you have your own history and stories to add to this and they are most welcome. I first became aware of jigging for blackfish when I watched Capt Rich Tenreiro on a fishing show from Long Island sound. They were fishing with the creator of tidal tale jigs and having great success. I have always enjoyed fishing with light tackle so this was of immediate interest to me. Soon after that Lou Castellano had a charter with Capt Rich and I went to give it a try. The first trip had very poor conditions and we were only able to catch a few fish. I liked what I saw but I was not convinced yet. Next I went on another trip with Lou and we had similar condition and again limited success. It was around 4 years ago that I fished with Henry Kong, or uncle Henry as he is known, on the fish monger and that day we were fluking. Henry and I hit it off pretty well and we started fishing more together. We had discussed jigging for tog and Henry explained that he had been doing it for around 10 years with good success. I was anxious to see him in action and I finally had the chance on a early season Rhode Island trip. This trip again had pretty poor conditions but Henry stuck with his jigs and put on a show. He was outcatching everyone. Henry gave me some of his jigs and I went for it. There was a learning curve, but I soon I was pulling in blackfish and I have not looked back since. We started jigging on other boats and people were becoming intrigued. Henry, in my opinion, was the person to most contribute to the current popularity of blackfish jigging in NJ.

He was not alone, however. Henry fishes often on the Fish Monger, which is one of the best blackfishing boats in NJ. Capt Jerry is well known for his love of blackfishing and his ability to put his customers on the fish. Capt Jerry prides himself on getting his customers the most and biggest fish possible. As other fishermen were watching uncle Henry, they wanted to try jigging to. As I mentioned there is a learning curve for jigging and fishermen that are not used to light tackle spinning rods would not put their usual catch in the boat. Jerry also often fishes wrecks and very rough bottom where a large fish would most likely break off if hooked on light line and a jig. Capt Jerry always wants his customers to do their best so he discouraged them from jigging. A debate was created, that still goes on today, about whether to jig or not. This debate, I think, was the second most influential cause of the growth of jigging. So many people read Capt Jerry's fishing reports, they stared to wonder what all this talk about jigging was.
Last year I had an early season charter in Rhode Island again. Henry was along as well as Capt Chad Hacker and Capt Derek Bielitz. Derek had jigged for blackfish before but this was Chad's first try. It was a tough day until the last two hours, when they started to chew. Henry was doing very well as usual, but Chad started to get the hang. He and Derek were giving the capt fits as they were swinging 8# fish over the rail with these light poles. Unfortunately Chad swung one to many on a pole that he borrowed from Derek. Chad and Derek were hooked after that and they mostly jig for tog now. The many customers that fish on their boats, have seen their success and I have been on trips where all ten fishermen are now jigging.
Henry, Bill Pissara, and I fish quite a bit with the legend Tommy Joseph. Henry has fished for years with Tommy and has always jigged. Tommy was not to interested until the day that Henry, Bill, and I were absolutely destroying the blackfish. He asked Henry for a jig and was soon catching fish. Capt Ed did not want to be left behind and was soon jigging too. Who says that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Capt Tommy asked me to get him 100 jigs and now he is telling his customers that there is a time and place for the jig.
I am not sure of Joe Zagorski's motivation for starting Blackfish Jiggers Anonymus, but he has certainly stirred up attention. I don't think that he originally was a jigger but his recent 13+ # fish on a jig show that he is now on the darkside.
I don't say that jigging always produces more fish, but it is the way that I most enjoy to catch them. It appears that more and more people are feeling the same way, because I read more and more reports about the fish caught on the jig. So share some stories and enjoy blackfishing anyway that you want to.

EddieG 12-24-2016 09:45 AM

Re: The history of jigging Blackfish in NJ as I know it

Thoughout last year I read numerous post on here and well as seeing some videos on YouTube about jigging blackfish... it wasn't until early Jan this past year that I was on the osprey out of Atlantic City where two guys were putting on a show with the jig to say the least... one guy was in the bow and the other in the stern while 15 other guys were stratching our you no what!! So I said screw it I'll have to try this.. I now have been out about 7 times this fall blackfishing and the quality and quantity of the fish is the best I ever had... numerous fish close to if not 10 pounds + and well as limits every trip ... granted I have been on good boats like tommy Joseph and Ron on the rock bottom .. but in my brief experience jig fisherman simply get many more bites then conventional..

Gerry Zagorski 12-24-2016 09:59 AM

Thanks for that Eric, you JIGGER :D

Tried my hand a few times with mixed success and just as you say, there is a learning curve and for me it's been a pretty steep one. Conditions are everything as is the gear you use and you need to get used to feeling the bite since it's different then on a rig.

From what I've seen the conditions need to be on the calmer side with slower current and a nice sensitive lightweight but strong rod and reel is a practically must... Most bites are slight, you might feel a tap, some extra weight and sometimes they pick it up and run with it. For that reason you need a very light and sensitive but somewhat powerful rod and reel. The lightness allows you to detect bites and once you are hooked up, you need some power and lifting capability to keep the fish out of the wreck and busting you off. Point in case I tried it on a somewhat heavier spinner set up I use to jig for fluke and I couldn't feel a thing. The fluke bite is way more aggressive and no mistaking it, not so with Blackfish.

Having said all this I know there are some way more proficient then me who fish jigs almost exclusively, in spite of conditions and do very well.

I have a lot to learn yet but I too like it for the sport and challenge and sometimes when the bite is really scratchy or the fish won't commit to the bait, the jigs can be a big difference maker. One thing I'm still figuring out is the hook set.... Hard for me to get used to it but most sharpies say lifting the rod rather then a hard hook set is best.

Thanks again for the history lesson and sharing it here Eric.

MVP 12-24-2016 10:12 AM

Eric
That was a great story and well written. Nothing more I enjoy thane fishing with you guys and watching you all put on a clinic. I have learned allot watching you guys and still have along way to go as I have more confidence in my traditional rig. The more you do it the more confidence you get. Thanks for sharing great story

Tony Cav 12-24-2016 10:27 AM

Eric,

Good article. thanks.

Man Workin 12-24-2016 10:40 AM

Great article, its crazy how many elements go into catching tog. It's cool to see guys have great success jigging. I myself have been starting to try, but with no luck. As said in all the posts conditions and equipment matter and this time of year fishing for me is with a slider or single hook. Much respect to the jiggers out there and merry Christmas just keep that jig away from me, lol.

Sharkyispy 12-24-2016 10:51 AM

Eric, great post! Well written and explains the passion that some develop for a new way of fishing. It's a challenge. Many here like that over the normal way of catching a fish. It's not new, just a method that has recently take hold in a much bigger way.

Capt Derek Fisher Price 3 12-24-2016 11:27 AM

Great post Eric. Heres some proof that some big ones can be caught doing this, but they do have their time and their place.

14.5#
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...8.jpg~original

14.8#
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...a.jpg~original

kurtisb 12-24-2016 05:11 PM

Eric, watching you, Uncle Henry and Chad fish with a jig has turned me to the dark side also. In October and early November when we were fishing in shallow water it was fantastic. I caught many fish up to 10 pounds and never broke off a fish. Now that we are fishing deeper, I just can't get it to work anymore. I've watched you and Chad fish jigs deep and put on a show, but I'm back to the rig.

Fin Reaper 12-24-2016 07:58 PM

Great story man...
Thanks for that!

SaltLife1980 12-24-2016 08:14 PM

Sweet

Joey Dah Fish 12-24-2016 08:29 PM

Great read Eric. Good topic as well. It began for me early this season and to say there is a learning curve was an under statement for me to say the least. I pulled my hair out the first few times. I would reel up an empty hook almost every time. So I fished for an hour or so and put it rod holder. Catch some fish the traditional way and try it again until I learned the bite and when to swing. It's a whole lot of fun only after you're are hairless. But that too is togging. No doubt there's a time and place as you stated. As the water starts getting colder and we start fishing deeper and what I call big fish season is in full swing I will put it in a rod holder. The biggest reason I will put it in a rod holder is my personality not because it doesn't work. If I bust off a real slob I will beat myself up for days (and I'm sure many others will chime in :D) saying you probably would have landed that fish with heavier tackle. Lots of folks can just brush it off and move on but not me. I say fish how every like and enjoy the style you favor.
Thanks for posting this and I will certainly be following this thread. Wishing you all many fish stories and victories.

jigemup 12-25-2016 06:22 AM

Well written Eric. I can add a couple comments that will help your tog jigging. Early on Tommy would say to me "boy you're stubborn, put on some meat", Alex commented about "confidence", and then learn when the jigs will work.

Chumslick 12-25-2016 08:06 AM

Nice post, has anybody tracked the hangup rate fishing a jig vs a regular setup?
My last tog trip I broke off 9 rigs on sticky bottom and I'm ready to try something else.

bulletbob 12-25-2016 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumslick (Post 470094)
Nice post, has anybody tracked the hangup rate fishing a jig vs a regular setup?
My last tog trip I broke off 9 rigs on sticky bottom and I'm ready to try something else.

I use these,and have had better luck over the years than I have with egg sinkers.. they are not perfect, but do get hung less than eggs do... bob

Attachment 106549

Topeka Boy 12-25-2016 11:48 AM

Gonna Have to learn how to jig:confused: My pb is 9 lbs I need a dd bad:eek:Matbe this can do it.:). Merry Christmas to all my friends.;)

Capt. Lou 12-25-2016 11:52 AM

Nice read Eric , i personally was introduced to this over 20 years ago by an ardent tod fisherman on the north shore of LI . I was never hard core togger like many on here in deference from my love for wreck , trout & cod fishing .
Anyway I Thought this way just a localized method of shallow watering fishing for tog .
We used plain lead heads about 1/2 oz , water was under 30' in depth & some days barely 20'. Jigging is certainly a misnomer , u move jig a little more than rig fishing but in no way is it jigging.
More like presenting bait via a jig! In any event I Never really followed thru using or even tried this method on any of my tog trips until several years back a guy on one of my AC charters resurrected my interest when he did a number ,on the toggies that day not biggest but certainly most .
What I like was using lighter tackle which I've always preferred , so I'm now hooked via this methods as so many others are , not a panacea by any means but great add to the arsenal .
Once wreck,season calms down I'll go,back toggin , deepwater application is where I'll give it a shot , developing methods with proper tackle to move big fish interests me since all my big tog have been taken on hot shot or DR rods that moved these big girls quickly a lot better than heavier rod tapers !
Fast taper blanks that stack quickly are my first choice for jig bait fishing !

Rightaway III 12-25-2016 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to you, Henry, and Bill, I started jigging and haven't looked back. It not only catches more fish, but it's a heck of a lot more fun! I got my first DD on a jig the other day and.....WOW!

Boston Pete 12-25-2016 08:11 PM

I know jigging catches fish but for me the bite of a blackfish on a whole white crab is what keeps me coming back
I've caught tog on jigs and that bite doesn't compare.
Don't mean to pee in your Cherrios on this post but just wondering if anyone feels the same.

Joey Dah Fish 12-25-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boston Pete (Post 470140)
I know jigging catches fish but for me the bite of a blackfish on a whole white crab is what keeps me coming back
Don't mean to pee in your Cherrios on this post but just wondering if anyone feels the same.

I totally agree. But when this fish bite is really picky the jigs help you through. I much prefer the thump thump :D. The fun thing about the jig is the rod doubling over on most every fish.

SaltLife1980 12-25-2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topeka Boy (Post 470119)
Gonna Have to learn how to jig:confused: My pb is 9 lbs I need a dd bad:eek:Matbe this can do it.:). Merry Christmas to all my friends.;)

I feel your pain!! Im stuck at 9.2!!!!!

jmurr711 12-26-2016 02:10 AM

Learned lighter & longer leader seems to help when thy get picky but what do i know I'm only averaging 17 keepers a trip this fall none on a jig

fishingmortgageman 12-26-2016 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boston Pete (Post 470140)

I know what you are saying Pete about the whole crab bite, but there are some days that the blackfish are sitting on the bottom looking up. On these days they take your crab on the way down and then head for the hills. It is pretty exciting when you set the hook on a big one that is already off to the races.

Boston Pete 12-26-2016 08:44 AM

Of course there are those days when the fish are picky and you have to switch it up, that's why I bring some jigs with me. Fishing has been so good the last few years I haven't had to use a jig. I'll take that "bite" over a few extra fish any day.
Jmo.....

Rightaway III 12-26-2016 09:56 AM

Nothing legendary about me

Eric just read your post on jigging togs,great job.Should encourage others to give it a shot.Thanks for the legend you put before my name,but there is nothing legendary about me.I break the inlet ,ask the LORD to guide me and keep us safe.Then i try my best to put the guys on the meat.Healthy happy new year to all.capt.tommy joseph

Man Workin 12-26-2016 10:12 AM

Re: Nothing legendary about me

Maybe nothing legendary, lol. But I have been on the water fishing around you for some time and you are a very respectful Captain in regards to safety and the way you go about things. It's nice to share the ocean with a vessel such as yours, no B.S.

Brian Ciesielski
Man Workin

ytuna 12-26-2016 11:14 AM

You are too modest Tommy. You are a legend for your fishing knowledge (not many left that use ranges to get on a great piece that has been giving up fish for decades). But more importantly you are valued for your humanity, warmth, faith and positive outlook. Very few of us would be able to carry the load you carry with grace. More than a legend, you are a role model.

Bill

Joey Dah Fish 12-26-2016 04:34 PM

Boy Tommy they're really piling in on 😜😜😜😜 cudos to you for working hard to maintain your well deserved reputation

tautog 12-26-2016 05:59 PM

Legendary is just a polite way of saying really old.:eek:

MVP 12-26-2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytuna (Post 470166)
You are too modest Tommy. You are a legend for your fishing knowledge (not many left that use ranges to get on a great piece that has been giving up fish for decades). But more importantly you are valued for your humanity, warmth, faith and positive outlook. Very few of us would be able to carry the load you carry with grace. More than a legend, you are a role model.

Bill

Could not have said it better Bill.

bunker dunker 12-27-2016 07:22 AM

Uncle Henry not only started the "jig" movement here in nj he was also kind enough to share with others as Eric had said earlier.I was able to get on a charter trip
in RI with Henry,who i did not even know.He was putting on a clinic with his Jig.
i thought how cool is this as i am a jigaholic with everything from sea bass to tuna.i watched and watched as this guy was hooking and landing nice tog.we were making a move and i asked him about the jigging.now he could have told me to shove off as i had never met him and not to say the "tog guys'aren't friendly but...... instead he explains and shows me a few things and hands me a jig and says"try it".well from that day on when conditions are right the jig is the go to.if your reading this Henry i just want to say thanks again.

jigemup 12-27-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunker dunker (Post 470190)
Uncle Henry not only started the "jig" movement here in nj he was also kind enough to share with others as Eric had said earlier.I was able to get on a charter trip
in RI with Henry,who i did not even know.He was putting on a clinic with his Jig.
i thought how cool is this as i am a jigaholic with everything from sea bass to tuna.i watched and watched as this guy was hooking and landing nice tog.we were making a move and i asked him about the jigging.now he could have told me to shove off as i had never met him and not to say the "tog guys'aren't friendly but...... instead he explains and shows me a few things and hands me a jig and says"try it".well from that day on when conditions are right the jig is the go to.if your reading this Henry i just want to say thanks again.

Ed, you're welcome. It's a lot of fun when a tog takes a couple 5-10 yard runs against a 6# drag setting. Too bad so many guys are doing this, too much competition.

bunker dunker 12-27-2016 09:05 AM

Henry i don't think you have to worry about that.like Eric said you are years ahead of the curve.

Sullivan 12-27-2016 08:39 PM

Good info guy"s , tried it for the first time this year got about 15 , no shorts . Downhill since then , just picky bites ,caught some , but not that good , same with the bait guy"s . That being said I guess the jig also don"t always get them either . I was using a banana style jig and moving it very slowly ,color was brownish orange ,and read to use a jig that the hook don"t lay flat . Correct movement is still in question ?

jmurr711 12-27-2016 08:44 PM

Why haven't more jo jiggers signed up for puosu? Afraid to compete against 40+ people?

Joey Dah Fish 12-27-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurr711 (Post 470267)
Why haven't more jo jiggers signed up for puosu? Afraid to compete against 40+ people?

Jmurr throwing it down !!!!!!!!

Abrasion 12-28-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurr711 (Post 470267)

Because being on a boat with 40 other people blackfishing is a waste of time and money

Joey Dah Fish 12-28-2016 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=Abrasion;470340]Because being on a boat with 40 other people blackfishing is a waste of time
I totally disagree

MVP 12-28-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abrasion (Post 470340)
Because being on a boat with 40 other people blackfishing is a waste of time and money

When Gerry hands a check to the Wells family at the end of the PUOSU and see the reaction on Mrs Wells face and the good that the NJfishing community does to help a family out that lost a loved one I think you would be rethinking your comment as it is neither a waste of time or money. As fishing is sometimes allot more than just catching fish

Gerry Zagorski 12-28-2016 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 470358)
When Gerry hands a check to the Wells family at the end of the PUOSU and see the reaction on Mrs Wells face and the good that the NJfishing community does to help a family out that lost a loved one I think you would be rethinking your comment as it is neither a waste of time or money. As fishing is sometimes allot more than just catching fish

AMEN brother!!