NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Best Of (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The history of jigging Blackfish in NJ as I know it (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94234)

SaltLife1980 12-28-2016 10:09 PM

Re: The history of jigging Blackfish in NJ as I know it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abrasion (Post 470340)
Because being on a boat with 40 other people blackfishing is a waste of time and money

The trip is not just to catch fish like Alex said. Its to celebrate a NjFishing"s Legend who was taken from us far to early......

Scrubby 12-29-2016 08:28 AM

I have to say I started to "try" using the jig last spring with very little success. yesterday I was invited to fish a non sponsor boat.. the day stated off with a very picky bite. the conditions weren't great for jigging, 80 Ft of water, with some current, and pretty windy, but I moved toward the bow( so not tangle anyone) with my spinning outfit and 2 oz jig and decided to give it a shot. it was tough to get the jig down to the bottom, I had to kind of hand feed the jig to get there. it took me a little bit to get the feel of the bottom with the light jig but I finally "started" to catch on.. Let me say I missed ALOT of fish and came up with a empty hook many times but I also caught ALOT of fish. It was a real picky bite for everyone else but there were stretches where I was getting bites every time I dropped down..I know there is a big learning curve and I have only just begun to learn how to fish the jig but man I am hooked..Question for you jig guys, what's the heaviest jig you will fish? I think if I had a 3 oz jig I would have done even better. also what spinning rods are you using? I was using a real light Trevala and the rod was bent in half with 3 and 4 lb fish. Don't get me wrong it was fun as hell but I thing I would be in trouble with anything in the double digits..

bunker dunker 12-29-2016 09:18 AM

this thread is about jigging blackfish.lets keep Lab and his family out of this please.show a little respect.

jmurr711 12-29-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abrasion (Post 470340)
Because being on a boat with 40 other people blackfishing is a waste of time and money

Dbag of the year award proudly goes to you congratulations!

jmurr711 12-29-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurr711 (Post 470388)
Dbag of the year award proudly goes to you congratulations!

ok saw your donation post your forgiven. poppa kurtis put out $100 just for the Wells family & that's why he wins njfishing man of the year every year.

NoWorries 12-30-2016 12:41 PM

Hi , haven't been on here much lately . Just read Eric's post and really enjoyed it . Thanks for sharing ! My experience with the jig is just the last 2 seasons and mostly on my own boat a 23' Mako. Having fished for and loved tog fishing since the 60's. Fishing the jig is a blast ! No big ones yet for me but some fun trips with lots of action. Most trips have been in water less than 50' with a 2oz jig on a spinning rod . I'm using a Canyon 3500 on a 7' Bushido 125 gram jigging rod :D

phil 12-30-2016 01:06 PM

do people jig on party boats? i only jig blackfish when im fishing from my yak, im rarely ever anchored and just kind of try to stay over or next to the spots. check out tog candy jigs if any of you are yak jiggers. theyre real nice, strong hooks and the paint on them is sweet.

NoWorries 12-30-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil (Post 470566)
do people jig on party boats? i only jig blackfish when im fishing from my yak, im rarely ever anchored and just kind of try to stay over or next to the spots. check out tog candy jigs if any of you are yak jiggers. theyre real nice, strong hooks and the paint on them is sweet.

Most guys on here are on the charter and party boats so the answer is yes !

fishingmortgageman 12-31-2016 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoWorries (Post 470562)
Hi , haven't been on here much lately . Just read Eric's post and really enjoyed it . Thanks for sharing ! My experience with the jig is just the last 2 seasons and mostly on my own boat a 23' Mako. Having fished for and loved tog fishing since the 60's. Fishing the jig is a blast ! No big ones yet for me but some fun trips with lots of action. Most trips have been in water less than 50' with a 2oz jig on a spinning rod . I'm using a Canyon 3500 on a 7' Bushido 125 gram jigging rod :D

It is nice to hear from you John. I have seen a couple of your posts and it looks like you are doing well from your boat. Try some April or October togging with the jig in shallow. Hopefully you will land a big one soon. They are a blast on the light tackle.

jigemup 05-03-2018 06:34 AM

We are still having this discussion as of last night, jig vs rig and brought to mind Eric's post. It was well written and brought out some opinions and experiences of 1.5 years ago, have your opinions changed.