NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Ssfff To Challenge Mrfss Landings Data (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16945)

CaptTB 11-06-2009 03:25 PM

SSFFF To Challenge MRFSS Landings Data

SAVE THE SUMMER FLOUNDER FISHERY FUND TO CHALLENGE EXISTING MRFSS RECREATIONAL LANDINGS DATA

The Save the Summer Flounder Fishery Fund (SSFFF), a nonprofit organization formed in New Jersey to seek both scientific and legislative solutions to the continuing crisis facing recreational anglers who wish to fairly access the summer flounder fishery, has announced that HDR Engineering P.C. has been retained to independently review and investigate the governments current 2009 Summer Flounder landings data.

Despite the degree of the economic downturn in the USA, the unprecedented amount of inclement weather this past summer, and by almost all accounts, a general downturn in angler participation, the Marine Recreational Fisheries Statistics Survey (MRFSS) has determined that increasingly significant landings of Summer Flounder have occurred! The MRFSS data also shows effort and participation numbers at odds with first hand industry observations!

This Information is completely contrary to evidence gathered from marine fisheries businesses up and down the coast.

“The fact that MRFSS has once again come up with landings numbers that do not reflect reality should not come as a surprise to anyone,” said Greg Hueth, president of the Shark River Surf Anglers and one of the founders of SSFFF. “Nevertheless, these statistics MUST be challenged and a more accurate picture of landings in the Summer Flounder fishery must be taken if we are to avoid more unnecessary restrictions,” Mr.. Hueth said.

“To even suggest that anglers somehow exceeded their quota in the Summer Flounder fishery in light of the circumstances of the past year is just ludicrous,” said Dave Arbeitman, owner of The Reel Seat tackle shop in Brielle, NJ, and also a founder of SSFFF. “NMFS has yet to fix the MRFSS system as mandated by the newly re-authorized Magnuson Stevens Act, and we fishermen continue to pay the price for bad data.”

Working in concert with the National Marine Fisheries Service, SSFFF has already begun to acquire the landings information to assist in this analysis. “It is our hope that with a thorough analysis of the data, combined with additional information provided by the for-hire industry, the Regional Climate Center and various Marine Trades Associations that we can provide a more accurate accounting of the Summer Flounder recreational fisheries landings for 2009,” said Capt. Tony Bogan, a member of the SSFFF Executive Committee and part of the Bogan Family of fishermen from Brielle, NJ.

The Save the Summer Flounder Fishery Fund (SSFFF) is a nonprofit organization comprised of recreational anglers, party and charter boat operators, bait and tackle stores, tackle distributors, bait wholesalers, and others whose livelihoods are dependent on a healthy and vibrant recreational fishing industry. SSFFF has as its mission a comprehensive approach to safeguarding the publics‘ access to Summer Flounder.

More information about SSFFF can be found at its website, www.ssfff.net, along with updates on both the legislative and scientific goals it is committed to achieving.

CaptTB 11-06-2009 04:32 PM

Re: Ssfff To Challenge Mrfss Landings Data

We need your support NOW guys & girls.

Here it is, look at the press releases both in this thread and the lawsuit thread, actions are being taken on behalf of all of us by RFA, United Boatmen and SSFFF. We need your help desperately to achieve our goals. Spread the word, tell everyone you know, help however you can.

PAMonger 11-07-2009 09:08 AM

Out of curiosity, if these suits based on sea bass and fluke are successful, when can we see relief?

Is this somthing that may be corrected this winter? for next summer? farther in the future?

CaptTB 11-07-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAMonger
Out of curiosity, if these suits based on sea bass and fluke are successful, when can we see relief?

Is this somthing that may be corrected this winter? for next summer? farther in the future?

Let me do my best to explain.
First, there is only one lawsuit, the one for Sea Bass. If you read the release above you'll see that SSFFF is doing it's own analysis of the 2009 landings, not suing anyone. If SSFFF can identify the issues with the data it believes are there we could see an alteration of the landings immediately. If not, or if the conclusions drawn by SSFFF and HDR are rejected/not considered by the council and NMFS then nothing will change.

As to the lawsuit, there is absolutely no way to know how soon a judgement will occur. Assuming the case is heard relatively soon, and assuming the court find in favor of the plaintiffs, the closure would end at that point. There is always the possibility that the judgement will not come until after the closure is already over. That does not negate one of the primary purposes of the argument, and is even addressed in the argument itself. If you go to the thread on the lawsuit there is a link to the actual complaint that you can download and read.

Whether or not the closure is overturned prior to its ending does not change the fact that NMFS has now closed two fisheries (sea bass and amberjack) based on nothing more than preliminary MRFSS data. That is what is being challenged, and since sea bass was the fishery closed that is the fishery being dealt with.

Even if the closure is overturned tomorrow we still have to deal with the artificially low quota and the landings data in the Sea Bass fishery.

We are working on those two issues also, so please stand by:D

Capt. Jerry P 11-07-2009 09:03 PM

Thank You SSFFF

GUYS GET ONBOARD AND SUPPORT!!!

Somebodies got to fix da broken system!

Bates 11-08-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Jerry P
Thank You SSFFF

GUYS GET ONBOARD AND SUPPORT!!!

Somebodies got to fix da broken system!

If you have been reading about SSFFF and RFA, their actions and performance so far and have not supported them verbally or financially now is the time. The storm is building and if we are going to have any input this is the way for the party/provate boat, charter and surf fisherman to have some input. If we sit back and watch, doing nothing we have no reason to complain. If you have cancelled a trip because the fish are not available due to regulations, take the gas, toll, launch, bait, boat fare, tip food and drink money and send it to SSFFF and /or RFA. If everyone sends the costs of one trip to them we will provide a substantial bump in the needed funds. This is not going to happen without money!

Kensdock 11-24-2009 09:03 PM

Capt.TB, At last estimate NJ has about 1.4 million recreational Anglers. If ten percent of the anglers caught 100 keeper flounder with a combined weight of 250 pounds,how many pounds of flounder could the rest of NJ anglers catch before the 2009 quota would be consumed.

PBangler 11-24-2009 10:19 PM

Kensdock,

Time to give it a rest.

CaptTB 11-25-2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kensdock
Capt.TB, At last estimate NJ has about 1.4 million recreational Anglers. If ten percent of the anglers caught 100 keeper flounder with a combined weight of 250 pounds,how many pounds of flounder could the rest of NJ anglers catch before the 2009 quota would be consumed.

Ken, if you are going to quote MRFSS numbers, at least let's be accurate huh?

First, the "last estimate" for participation in the state of NJ is 1.2 million, not 1.4 million anglers (which was the estimate from 2007). Strange how you always use that number whenever you comment about anglers in NJ, yet it is the only time (2007) in the 29 year history of MRFSS estimates that NJ has had that many anglers estimated by MRFSS. Why only use the highest year, and one that isn't even the most recent year Ken? The 5 year average is 1.2 million and the ten year average is lower, but then again you grasp onto MRFSS numbers as if they are facts, when in reality even the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America has declared the data from MRFSS to be fatally flawed.

Second, ten percent of the anglers do not catch 100 keepers each a year (actually few anglers do) and your average weight is off too.

Also, we do not have effort or participation numbers specifically for Fluke for the 2009 year yet, and it would make no sense (except to perhaps YOU) to use as overall participation number for the entire state from 2 years ago and a made up percentage of those anglers that catch fluke in this state.

I could take a guess, but then I'd be using made up numbers to figure out a made up number, like you did.

Kensdock 11-25-2009 08:31 AM

Tony, I remember 1.4 million NJ anglers that is why I use that number. I used 10% of anglers catching 100 keeper flounder because that is the number of keepers I caught and posted on my blog. Some people that post on fishing sites and clubs caught more some caught less. I would have caught more if I followed the flounder into the Ocean during Juily and August. I just had my fill of flounder by that time.