NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Diamond jigs with assist hooks? (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101074)

Duffman 12-16-2017 10:46 AM

Diamond jigs with assist hooks?

Was just given a old tackle box that has a bunch of multiple sized diamond jigs. Jigs themselves are in good shape, hooks and tubes are beat.

Instead of going the split ring/hook route, was thinking of just cutting the hooks off and adding assist hooks like the shimano butterflys use.

Anyone use this on a traditional ava 27/47/67/87? Notice any difference in hookup ratio?

RC. 12-18-2017 01:45 PM

Re: Diamond jigs with assist hooks?

Have not tried using an assist hook but if you need to replace the hooks and do not want to use split rings, Gamakatsu makes Siwash hooks for this purpose. They have an open eye so you can just cut off the bad hooks and put these on and pinch the eye closed with pliers. Works well.

RC

ALS Mako 12-18-2017 06:44 PM

have ussed assist hooks on diamond jigs for cod and seabass. caught fish so i beleive they work. the jigs did have treble hooks on them as well but fish were caught on the assist also. had double header seabass on one jig

PortlyRedhead 12-19-2017 01:40 AM

With Clean Sweep Timmy a few years back, we jigged seabass on the Rockpile inside the Baltimore Canyon with green squid on an assist hook on the top of an A87 and another green strip on the standard hook on the bottom.

PeteyHD 12-28-2017 10:09 PM

Assist hooks should work fine as long as the length is at least 50% of the jig length. I have also used the siwash hooks and open treble hooks and closed the eyes on a vice without any problems.

I do not recommend split rings as my line alwaysssss gets caught inside while jigging.

Super 02-15-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC. (Post 499752)
Have not tried using an assist hook but if you need to replace the hooks and do not want to use split rings, Gamakatsu makes Siwash hooks for this purpose.

RC

X2

VMC makes nice Siwash hooks too

BELLYUP 02-18-2018 07:39 AM

Add a piece of shrink tube incase you pick up any bluefish. It will stiffen and keep the cord from fraying.

Anthony 02-19-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BELLYUP (Post 502552)
Add a piece of shrink tube incase you pick up any bluefish. It will stiffen and keep the cord from fraying.

can someone post a pick of a diamond jig with assist hook?