NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Saturday 10/28 Raritan Bay Capsize (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100114)

Capt. Debbie 10-30-2017 10:24 AM

Saturday 10/28 Raritan Bay Capsize

Anyone out Saturday afternoon in Raritan Bay? Yea it was crappy 3-5's on Romers. South wind 15k

About 16:00 a 20 foot center console trolling north of the TC took a wave over the transom and capsized? 2POB.

Gerry Zagorski 10-30-2017 10:49 AM

Re: Saturday 10/28 Raritan Bay Capsize

Not good, hope everyone is OK....

The bay, especially around the tip of the hook and Romer can get pretty nasty...
Worst conditions I've ever encountered were right there. The waves stacked up real tight and were cresting in all directions... Felt like I was a cork in a washing machine.

Best thing to do is make sure your making enough headway so you have steerage, keep your bow pointed into them and if you do need to make a turn, time it so you are between the troughs and make it quick so you aren't taking them on the beam.

june181901 10-30-2017 06:34 PM

Best reason to put a self inflating life jacket on before you leave the dock.
Cooler water and my age probably would have left my wife a newly minted widow!
Wear the damn things guys.

bulletbob 10-31-2017 08:52 AM

We fishermen see ourselves as "rugged outdoorsmen" tough guys that won't let a little wind and rough water stop us... As I age,i have adjusted those thoughts.. life is too short, too precious.. there's a better day to fish right around the corner.. I realize that many of us have to go fishing when we can, not when we want, but its often just not worth it.. Even if you do catch a fish or two, is is really a pleasant experience when you are shipping green water over the bow all day, and getting your brains beat out?
I suppose I am simply just getting old, but those rough windy nasty days usually aren't worth it anymore.. The fishing often isn't great either..
When I see 100 foot head boats staying tied up, but 20 footers out there fishing, I am bewildered.
Even a very good boat operator can stick a bow 5 feet down in a 6 footer, by being a second or two off in his timing with the throttle.

Not worth it.... bob

Capt. Debbie 10-31-2017 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Decent boat too. But as was said...you have to pick your days and forget the macho crap.

It was definitely breezy.

Capt. Debbie 10-31-2017 10:32 AM

The aftermath at AHMM ramp. All well in the end.

bulletbob 10-31-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Frank (Post 496317)
Decent boat too. But as was said...you hAve to pick your days and forget the macho crap.

It was definitely breezy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BazzOvmlB4C/

Decent boat in this video as well, and the guy was almost clear of the big inlet swells... however, to me it looks like he had a hull full of water.. the bow is way too close to the water.. the captain is an experienced commercial bayman and said he had a trim tab failure and motor problems.. A hull full of water will short stuff out, but I dunno.
In any case, even a good boat and experienced captain can have a bad situation come upon him,, REAL fast... bob

Capt. Debbie 10-31-2017 02:49 PM

Wow. Nice video. Watched it a few times.

He came off the throttles as the following sea fit the stern. Watch. The boat stops and lets the sea come over transom and surf board the boat, broach and roll.

Also that bow seems very heavy. Boats ( excluding bow riders) are designed to have a light a bow area as possible to rise quickly into the oncoming sea.

Obviously staged. Not many video a boat sinking and then just continue videoing him as he swims back. Unless you really cant stand the guy in the boat. But does prove a point how quickly it can sink.

We have to wear PDF's on the tow boats virtually all the time. I've heard stories about taking a wave in the boat. Owner went to call a Mayday and the boat rolled over so fast it tore the VHF mike out of the owner's hand.

It's scary even when you "have an idea" because mechanical failures do happen too.

And experience only happens being in stuff you shouldn't be in. More than once. I rue tow calls on those days. Risk my life. I usually show up angry that I am out there because of him. Definitely a HNO GO day. I go ballistic when I see the guy brought a kid(s) with him.

Duffman 11-01-2017 06:43 PM

Obviously staged?? Really? Someone would sink a boat on purpose in the inlet just to film it?

Looks to me someone was flying a drone and just so happened to be at that place at that time.

Capt. Debbie 11-02-2017 10:46 AM

Yes. Look at the reaction to someone getting dumped in. Not running to his cell to call in help, but keeps filming. Really? He that cold blooded?

He is obviously not filming himself.

Ask yourself what the reaction should be? Continued filming is not one of them I'm sure? If it is - I'd prefer you do not film any boat I am on. LOL

Just as the wave is on his stern to BOTH engines quit? Or throttles are pulled back.

Running an inlet in that crap following you, you do NOT race the waves. You continue to run as the same speed in a tough of a wave and come in with the trough.

I'm sure the insurance company feels his pain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 496458)
Obviously staged?? Really? Someone would sink a boat on purpose in the inlet just to film it?

Looks to me someone was flying a drone and just so happened to be at that place at that time.