NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Winter Storage Lake Hopatcong (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105181)

Pdog 09-11-2018 01:54 PM

Winter Storage Lake Hopatcong

Coming up on my first winter as a boat owner trying to figure out my best wintering options. Since I don’t have a garage big enough, I’m wondering if anyone can give me some good places (and rough prices) to store the boat over the winter in the Lake Hopatcong area. Or am I better off just getting the wrap thing done and keeping it outside. Boat is 18’ aluminum with 8’ beam. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Steve

Capt. Lou 09-12-2018 06:42 AM

Re: Winter Storage Lake Hopatcong

You might check prices on one of those self storage areas , you can just frame it and throw tarp on should be real easy with a small boat .
A friend does this with a 20’ no issues , framed his with PVC piping .

NJSquatch 09-12-2018 07:19 AM

X2 on Capt Lou..

I have a 17 deep vee that I frame up with a tarp and store in my driveway...

obviously the marinas will wrap and store your boat but it will be spendy....there is a trucking company that advertises boat storage on 15S across from the Exxon

Pdog 09-12-2018 10:23 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I store now in the driveway with the travel cover on it and it’s fine for the summer. Should I remove that and just replace with the tarp or just leave it on and kind of “tent” over it? Sorry for the newbie questions but appreciate the responses.

NJSquatch 09-12-2018 01:12 PM

i leave the summer cover on it (keeps out leaves and critters) and build an a-frame structure that i throw a large tarp over and secure to the trailer with a ton on bungees...

be sure to remove the snow so it doesn't tear the tarp

Nye44 10-17-2018 10:40 AM

I'm in the same situation. First year as a boat owner where winter storage is required. 17' alum lund.

I'm going to start calling the marinas around lake Hopatcong and see what it cost just to wrap and store as I can probably do the motor winterization myself (maybe). I recall reading that storage itself is around $20/feet which seems reasonable.

I just don't want to take up a garage spot and freeze my ass off every morning getting into my car. My wife also does not want a boat with ugly tarp sitting outside all winter.

New to the forum, if any long time boat owners have suggestions, please speak up! Much appreciated.

NJSquatch 10-17-2018 12:14 PM

Store the boat in the garage, take the boat wrapping money and get a remote starter installed in the car.

This way you can tinker with the boat when you get cabin fever and more importantly be able to take it out if we have a mild winter.

wish I had a garage as this is the way I would do it!

Capt. Debbie 10-18-2018 09:27 AM

Fitting an 18 footer on a trailer in a home garage is usually difficult. With outboard off back and trailer tongue in front

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJSquatch (Post 518598)
Store the boat in the garage, take the boat wrapping money and get a remote starter installed in the car.

This way you can tinker with the boat when you get cabin fever and more importantly be able to take it out if we have a mild winter.

wish I had a garage as this is the way I would do it!

Charlie B 10-18-2018 11:38 AM

Prospect Point has indoor storage at both locations. Most likely more costly but you do save on covering...Charlie

Pdog 01-09-2019 01:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Figured I’d wrap up this post with what I ended up doing. Took NJSquatch’s suggestion and built a frame out of conduit and tarped it up. No the as tight as I would’ve liked but seems to be doing the job.