NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Prospertown Lake Almost Empty? (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38851)

jtjr09 09-06-2011 07:22 PM

Prospertown Lake Almost Empty?

Hey guys I drive by Prospertown everyday on my way to and from work. Today it looked almost empty. Water level is way down,empty all around the islands. Reminds me of when the damn broke when I was a kid.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Jerseydix 09-09-2011 03:59 PM

Re: Prospertown Lake Almost Empty?

Did you ever find out? I went by there after work today and was amazed.. not much water left.. did the Dam give way?

Ol Pedro 09-09-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerseydix
Did you ever find out? I went by there after work today and was amazed.. not much water left.. did the Dam give way?

DUDES , DON'T BREAK MY HEART ! I'll do a recon on the way home . They may have opened the skimmer all the way .

JoeLongo 09-09-2011 07:51 PM

Say it aint so, was going to take my daughter next week

AJFISH13 09-10-2011 07:06 AM

Damns are breaking on a lot of lakes. Been creating some very unique fishing opportunities for some though.

Ol Pedro 09-12-2011 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJFISH13
Damns are breaking on a lot of lakes. Been creating some very unique fishing opportunities for some though.

Recon on Friday evening was not good . The Dam is intact but the flow is wide open out of the pipe . I can't figure out why there is such a great flow when the skimmer is out of the water . There may a third of the lake left . Finding a solid spot to get down to the water is also a problem as the gumbo is sucking boots off . I saw one person manage to get to the water on the right side of the main boat ramp where the sand flats are . The back ramp is not worth trying and rollercoaster cove is just a trickle . I think that a levy in the back might have broken . Grandson and I will try and launch the johnboat by the main ramp and go into the back ASAP ! I saw quite a bit of fish activity but it's going to be tough getting to the water in the back .

jtjr09 09-12-2011 09:27 PM

Stop there today on my way home and fish and game was netting fish and moving them to a truck. They were out in the lake in a large flat bottom boat netting fish into livewells and then bringin them to shore. On shore was one of the trout stocking trucks being filled up with fish from the boat. Tried to ask what was going on and didnt really get an answer.

Dam looks fine, my quess would be that maybe one of the levies on the great adventure side may have broke, or they are emptying it to do some dredging or something.

Like I said the fish and game guys were quite quiet about what was going on.

Mark B. 09-13-2011 08:21 AM

The outlet pipe, which extends out into the lake from the verticle cement outlet structure, is broken.

NJF&W is boat electrofishing, transferring fish to Turnmill Pond @ Colliers Mills WMA. Yesterday, yeilded a number of nice slab sized black crappies, blue gills, yellow perch & brown bullheads. Only a few small LMB's (expecting larger ones, today). All gizzard shad were destroyed.

Silver lining in all of this is that the fish are going to Turnmill Pond, where this weekend, kids will fishing @ the Outdoor Expo.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/expo.htm

Mark B. 09-14-2011 11:04 AM

Taking a break today, waiting for it to lower some more to concentrate the remaining fish.

Will be back @ it, tomorrow.

If anyone wants some gizzard shad, stop by. Their flesh, & especially their actual gizzards,......are very deadly channel cat bait.

Ol Pedro 09-14-2011 11:47 AM

Mark , is the lake closed to fishing ?