PDA

View Full Version : Crappie technique?

jmurr711
04-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Last week i was at my lake and watched a guy bail crappies in a lake that i never even knew they were in. He was using some sort of jig and bobber combo, anyone familiar with this? was thinking of giving this a try tomorrow as the Big D might be out of the question with the rains.

Ol Pedro
04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Last week i was at my lake and watched a guy bail crappies in a lake that i never even knew they were in. He was using some sort of jig and bobber combo, anyone familiar with this? was thinking of giving this a try tomorrow as the Big D might be out of the question with the rains.
just use the smallest Crappie jig that you have and put it under a bobber. Start with the jig on the bottom and put the bobber about 2' up . Cast it out as far as you can and just slowly twitch the jig back in . Yo can also use a dropshot rig . Thread your crappie jig on the line . Go up around 2' and tie an overhand loop dropping the jig through the opening before you tighten it . I like a3/4 to 1 " loop . Just hang a splitshot on the bottom of the tag end . Cast it out and slowly hop it back . The jig will dance in the strike zone .

jmurr711
04-12-2011, 04:22 PM
just use the smallest Crappie jig that you have and put it under a bobber. Start with the jig on the bottom and put the bobber about 2' up . Cast it out as far as you can and just slowly twitch the jig back in . Yo can also use a dropshot rig . Thread your crappie jig on the line . Go up around 2' and tie an overhand loop dropping the jig through the opening before you tighten it . I like a3/4 to 1 " loop . Just hang a splitshot on the bottom of the tag end . Cast it out and slowly hop it back . The jig will dance in the strike zone .

thanks brother i have not crappie fished in years but watching this dude hammer them brought me back and i always remember they liked cloudy days so i am gonna try it tomorrow. any recomendations on jigs?

Ol Pedro
04-12-2011, 05:05 PM
thanks brother i have not crappie fished in years but watching this dude hammer them brought me back and i always remember they liked cloudy days so i am gonna try it tomorrow. any recomendations on jigs?
I like Berkley Strike tubes and 1/32oz jigs or lighter . Smoke , pink/white , or chartruse(spelling) . My son uses Beetlespins . I have caught more than my share on #5 or smaller Rapala's .

vanstaalin
04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
crappies love swimming mullets, I use a small jig head under a bobber and it works great white has caught the biggest fish for me but all caught very well

jmurr711
04-12-2011, 05:17 PM
thanks guys me and the old man used to float killies under a float but this dude was smoking them and had some really nice slabs i am gonna give it a try tomorrow. any reccomeendation on floats or just a basic round bobber?

The Fluke Kid
04-12-2011, 05:21 PM
If you find the school of them it is a deadly tactic we do very well in my club like this

vanstaalin
04-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I like the black and orange thill floats but thats just me

njfish4life
04-12-2011, 06:32 PM
i use the same setup with a small round bobber- less of a splash and enough weight to get the jig out there.. works like a charm

jmurr711
04-12-2011, 07:14 PM
thanks guys times like thhis i am reminded why this is the best site there is for info

Billfish715
04-12-2011, 08:23 PM
You can use fathead minnows under a small bobber but I also agree that the tubes on a small jighead are deadly. The smaller the float the better. The least amount of tension on the bait the better. Slip floats are the best. I've found that if there is a slight breeze to help move the float, I get more action but the depth has to be adjusted because the bait rises up as the wind moves the float.

revhi
04-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Sounds like the floating fly technique. Use a wooden slip bobber and a bobber stop at the line height you want the lure to suspend at. You can use anything from small tubes, to jigs to flys. As mentioned, wind helps give the lure some motion.

RichieFer
04-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I have used trout magnets under a bobber also. Worked great.

AJFISH13
04-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Teeny jigs, never tried the bobber thing. Twitch them slowly, and if you got lots of pickeral around, tie on a shock leader, they will hammer them. Last spring we had excellant crappie fishing at Pemberton and other lakes, this year it's been tough. If you find a lake with a prolific population of them, you should be able to find them. When you do, it is almost always lights out.

Chris_JC
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Use the thinnest bobber you can find - sometimes they hit so light the bobber barely quivers so you have to keep your eye on it.

catfishonthelake
04-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Drift.....don't drift.........drift.

AJFISH13
04-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Drift.....don't drift.........drift.

Drift until you find them. Once you do, it's game on. You can troll small rapalas until you find them also.

njfish4life
04-14-2011, 07:42 AM
i agree with the "slight bite" as well.. sometimes whatever float you use will just bounce a little funny, stop drifting or slowly move in a direction.. and once you find the right area- game on!!

ReelErIn
04-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks also ya'all grrrrrrr8 ideashttp://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/reelerin/upjpg.jpg