PDA

View Full Version : Hockhockson Brook 4/10/11

Lard Almighty
04-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Fished Hockhockson Brook along Water Street looking for leftovers. Started at my usual sure-fire hole. Worked through it once with a Panther Martin, nothing. Worked through it again with a white Mr. Twister, and finally hooked up. Wrong species! Toothy critter on trout gear. I did it again, Wilson. :o

Fished another hole that usually holds a couple of trout, but no action there. Bailed on the spot, and hit the falls for a little while. I threw the PM and the jig for about 45 minutes, nothing doing. A guy next to me fishing worms and power cheese caught two brookies and a sucker. He was rocking an old Mitchell 300, which was pretty cool.

This weekend has made me very sad. :( I hope this is not how the rest of my season goes.

AndyS
04-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Go to "the club" with Wilson and you will feel better right away.

fishermanv
04-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Fished Hockhockson Brook along Water Street looking for leftovers. Started at my usual sure-fire hole. Worked through it once with a Panther Martin, nothing. Worked through it again with a white Mr. Twister, and finally hooked up. Wrong species! Toothy critter on trout gear. I did it again, Wilson. :o

Fished another hole that usually holds a couple of trout, but no action there. Bailed on the spot, and hit the falls for a little while. I threw the PM and the jig for about 45 minutes, nothing doing. A guy next to me fishing worms and power cheese caught two brookies and a sucker. He was rocking an old Mitchell 300, which was pretty cool.

This weekend has made me very sad. :( I hope this is not how the rest of my season goes.

Hah! Thats probably the same pick I caught there a few weeks go lol.. I think they stock the hock this week.. will be going out soon.. but its been extremely slow for me this season so far.. that pick and a stock brookie.. went out again late afternoon/evening.. got the donut hole!

Moz
04-10-2011, 07:56 PM

Persistence will pay off and a dose of good karma.

I was very happy not to lose a lure on the river my first time out this season. lol

Outofline
04-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Lard,
It was good to meet you on Sat. I haven't fished the Hock since I lived in the Charleswood Area of Ft. Monmouth. I used to ride my bike there to fish after school. Nice little stream. Might have to give it try this year.
Matt

newbie1111
04-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I also fishing the river from 4 to 7 i got 3 brookies all on spinner. I also almost got attacked by a goose I didnt see protecting her eggs. Hopefully there will be a picture of the 3 fish.

newbie1111
04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
hopefully this time it comes up.

SplitShot
04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
thanks Lard for the hint..... I guess I'll be bringing my Mitchell 300 (already has fresh line) and my Garcia Rod and give it a shot!!! :)

Moz
04-11-2011, 04:50 PM
I also almost got attacked by a goose I didnt see protecting her eggs. Hopefully there will be a picture of the 3 fish.

Yesterday I managed to wrap my line around a goose swimming along with another. Fortunately it got itself out with no trouble but I did reel in a black feather off it.

Those things are nasty when they're protecting the nest, I remember one chasing me across a fairway when I went to get my golfball a number of years back.

dboyd101
04-11-2011, 08:42 PM
One of my saddest fishing memories (and my mother always reminds me of it). Fishing Goffle Brook Park when I was about 9 or 10... had a fresh 150 yds of 8 lb test on my shimano quickfire reel (still in service, never been serviced. the thing's built well...) and I hooked into a goose. I swear it had to have been hooked in the foot. BAM! The thing takes off flying and I didn't know what to do. In fear that I would break its foot by setting the bail, I just let it take all 150 yrds of line. Got to the end and it just snapped out of the holder. Gone.

If any of you hunters ever shot down a live balloon with a 150 yard string attached, please return it.