PDA

View Full Version : spring lake kids trout tourney

badfish88
03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
this is the first ive heard about it since my family and i moved to jersey, i have a 3 year old daughter that loves to fish, can some one tell me a lil more about the tourney, rules and what not, the link on the websight doesnt work. main concern is the rules, i know i cant fish it but can i cast for her, bait the hook? ive done a few kids tournaments way back wen and they had to cast, reel in bait the hook, any interference by a over age adult disqualifies the kid. I know......rediculous. Just makin sure.

dfish28
03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Well my man ill do my best with this one as i can... if this is the "opening day kids tourney" in spring lake in the town of spring lake its a madhouse there but still a good time for kids but they are absolutely not the only ones involved in it. I grew up fishing on spring lake ,among other local impoundments, and it has grown every year since- to an almost carnival like atmosphere... soon we're gonna have to find a bigger lake for this one. It is a good time I will only go there if the stream is shot, but I have friends from both sides- stream/lake ,some stick to the lake for the chance of the whopper- we go for the fun of it, and it has lost a lot of the magic there because of so many people with so many rods out "3 maximum" and most people do it to increase odds ... but all this really does is decrease chance for everybody! and like i said... i grew up locally and actually opening day trout when i was 5 or 6 was my first time fishing at Spring Lake. now its like a comic book proportion of fishing excitement... all in all the only thing i would change is maybe limit the amount or rods per angler from 3,down to 1, giving everyone a fair chance and let the kids fish first for a while; cuz its a free for all at the 8:00 shotgun start. After the first day whatever but remember i am only one man with one opinion

tautog
03-22-2011, 09:13 PM
They should petition the state to hold it a week earlier during the closed season to keep the grown ups out of the water.

badfish88
03-22-2011, 09:43 PM
i figured it wouldnt be "just kids" but what about rules with me helping my kids cast and bait hooks and what not

The Hunter
03-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Been going with my kids for the past 7 years. It has grown tremendously and as earlier said there are many opinions about right and wrong. I like the idea of a week earlier to keep the adults out. Every kid goes home with a bag of goodies (tackle box, pole etc), breakfast and lunch for free (donations gladly accepted). If you are not set up VERY EARLY (like in the dark) in the morning, you will not find a spot, if you set up in certain areas you may have people in a boat (rowed of course by adults) in front of you and you may find yourself fishing next to many adults (legal of course, but I am not sure of the ethics on that one). I have never seen anyone get a hard time for baiting or casting their child's pole and have witnessed many adults assist their children when the hook a BIG fish. If nothing else you should check it out because it does turn into a carnival atmosphere and once the touney ends (2pm???) it is game on for the adults that waited their turn. Feel free to PM me if you would like any more specifics.

Tony Cav
03-23-2011, 07:52 AM
I have heard that the kids have a lot of fun and know that every year some real lunkers are caught. Good luck, hope the kids have a good time!

Outofline
03-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Agree with you Joe. The first time I went down there, I got there at like 4:30-5 ish, and I ended up just barely getting a spot toward the back of the lake. It is a madhouse though. Adults in row boats anchored 15 feet in front of you, leaving you no room to cast. My niece was disappointed in the fact that there were more adults in the water, and not letting the kids get in to fish. That was the first and last time I'll be down there opening day with her.

Michael82929
03-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Go to the open house at the hatchery and they open up the education pond to the kids there while its going on.

Its a lot of fun

Check out the website

fishpro28
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
I was supposed to go to this tourney with my kids....but having second thoughts now. I don't want to get the kids up super early to fish elbow to elbow. Doesn't sound like a fun time...LOL

The Hunter
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
It is more like shoulder to shoulder, because there is no room for your elbows:D
It is a hectic experience, but if the weather is nice it can be enjoyable. You can also check out L & H down the road. They have a kids only tourney too.

http://www.lhwoodsandwater.com/

hofnodinstructor
03-28-2011, 04:22 PM
My kids fish all the tournaments in North Jersey. Check out our website for places and dates. HTTP://www.bgccfishing.org