PDA

View Full Version : Nomehagan Park?

youngdumbandfulloffish
03-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know why they're draining the lake? I took a walk through the woods and notice the damn has been taken out allowing the lake to drain.

catfishonthelake
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I had a long conversation with one of the neighbors who has been lived there for a long time. He said, and this may be true or not, that they are fixing the dam so that they can control the level of the lake to prevent floods during any rains. Just like with most other lakes, when they fix the dam, they have to lower the water level. There is a machinery back there, so it looks like they are working on it, but who knows. The place looks horrible with the water so low. I'm not saying this is all true, but I talked to a guy who lives directly across the street and that's what he said.

youngdumbandfulloffish
03-22-2011, 12:09 AM
That sounds about right. That can't be good for fishing. The state doesn't stock it. Time to start planning a fundraiser for some stocking.

njfish4life
03-22-2011, 08:15 AM
I drive by that park all the time and see the ponds but never threw a line in... echo lake is right by there too right?? always wanted to try that place as well.. need to get my line wet soon

Super
03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
They are fixing the dam. I posted pictures here:

http://gardenstatetrout.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4702

Billfish715
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Great report and even better pictures. That dam has been there for a long time. It holds the lake's water back but it hardly is a flood control device. There's still enough water in the lake for the resident fish to survive. To a twelve year old boy with a bike and a fishing rod, going to that park was like going to any of the greatest fishing places in the world. It didn't matter that carp and crappies weren't the trophy bass, pike, walleyes and muskies that people catch around the country. The fish in that pond were all trophies to a kid whose only means of travel was on a Schwinn one speed.

By the way, that spot back in the woods was once a "secret" swimming hole where no one wore bathing suits. Of course it didn't look like it does now.

Thanks for the report. In a hour's worth of fishing, it's always likely to catch a couple of bass there in the evening from late spring into the fall.

Billfish715
03-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Great report and even better pictures. That dam has been there for a long time. It holds the lake's water back but it hardly is a flood control device. There's still enough water in the lake for the resident fish to survive. To a twelve year old boy with a bike and a fishing rod, going to that park was like going to any of the greatest fishing places in the world. It didn't matter that carp and crappies weren't the trophy bass, pike, walleyes and muskies that people catch around the country. The fish in that pond were all trophies to a kid whose only means of travel was on a Schwinn one speed.

By the way, that spot back in the woods was once a "secret" swimming hole where no one wore bathing suits. Of course it didn't look like it does now.

Thanks for the report. In a hour's worth of fishing, it's always likely to catch a couple of bass there in the evening from late spring into the fall.