PDA

View Full Version : blackfish feeding in a tank

jmurr711
10-30-2010, 02:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8DYIXPXXGU

Bored as heck at work so i'm googling blackfish videos lol pretty cool how this 1 eats

RussH
10-31-2010, 06:23 PM
So clearly we need to use a whole live crab with all the legs on... LOL

Pretty cool video, that's a violent strike, but it doesn't seem to do a lot of damage. Yeah it killed the crab, but I expected a more crushing blow than that from a nice sized tog.

lunkertaker
10-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey Jmurr711

Searching for videos has got your itch up for the TOG!

Got the itch too. Cant wait to dunk some crabs and feel the chew...

shresearchdude
11-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I've observed many "bottom" fish bash prey to pieces against the bottom sediment to make smaller pieces. Blackfish, SeaBass, Scup, Ling, Stripers, Searobins....
What this video does/doesn't show is competition among fish and "natural" behavior. The fish in the tank can take it's time and doesn't have to contend with another fish taking away the rest of the crab.

The guy with the camera should have been behind some sort of "blind" so that every time he moved-he didn't spook the fish.

jmurr711
11-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I've observed many "bottom" fish bash prey to pieces against the bottom sediment to make smaller pieces. Blackfish, SeaBass, Scup, Ling, Stripers, Searobins....
What this video does/doesn't show is competition among fish and "natural" behavior. The fish in the tank can take it's time and doesn't have to contend with another fish taking away the rest of the crab.

The guy with the camera should have been behind some sort of "blind" so that every time he moved-he didn't spook the fish.

did not think about the competition aspect when in the wild., just thought it was weird how he just picked it apart then left the "meat" looked like a guy ordering back fin meat only lol then when the new crab was dropped in he chased it aggressively and hit it but did not kill it
@ lunker
i got the itch so bad yesterday on the Monger was an evil tease

shresearchdude
11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
The fish was "taught" that if it didn't grab the food when it first goes it-that it might be able to hide and avoid getting eaten. Asian shore crabs are fast. The fish "knew" that they other crab wasn't going anywhere(fast).

frugalfisherman
11-26-2010, 12:24 PM
That looks more like a bergal than a blackfish.

Life's A Beach
11-27-2010, 02:22 PM
That looks more like a bergal than a blackfish.

HUH? Kidding, right Bruce?

frugalfisherman
11-27-2010, 03:35 PM
HUH? Kidding, right Bruce?
Nope. Take a good look at that fish. When you reel up a large bergall it looks a lot like a tog at first without the Lisa Rinna lips. I think that is a bergall. It even picks at the crab like a bergall.

RussH
11-29-2010, 06:30 PM
That's definitely a juenile blackfish. Smaller than legal size at least. Probably a female. I think it's just not very agressive because it's in a tank and knows it will be there later. Put that thing in a 2,000 gallon aquarium with competition and I think you'd see a different sight.

Salt
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
So why do we cut the legs off ?

Life's A Beach
01-22-2011, 09:12 AM
So why do we cut the legs off ?

because if there aren't any legs........they'll inhale the body of the crab. how many times have YOU swung on any/all of those "leg bites" ????

Salt
01-22-2011, 06:45 PM
None, I always take the leg's off.