PDA

View Full Version : Old School Tuna Blitz!

Detour66
09-20-2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/StealthAMG

Gerry Zagorski
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Saw this once before but lost it. One of the best old shool fishing videos ever. Thanks for posting it here!

hforce1
09-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Awesome video. I love old school.
A few questions.
Slapping the water with the rods (seemed to be a technique) ?
Hooks non barbed? They hooked em, lifted into boat and threw right back to the blitz to catch again.
My biggest question is: are there any old timers that remember when the tuna were this thick?

Gotta love history.
H:)

bunker dunker
09-21-2010, 08:02 AM
i can remember when we only had to go the klondike to catch bluefin.

Chris G
09-25-2010, 06:27 PM
People should watch this before they bxtch & moan about 'swinging' a bluefish or bass... lol.

Ol Pedro
09-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Hforce1 , the guy's are lift poling . it's more of a West Coast thing . The tuna feathers that they are using are called tuna picks . they are barbless and have an odd bend . I have one in my collection that was made in Occupied Japan by Mt. Fuji co. Splashing the poles on the water looks like a bait jumping or a tuna boil . It is still done in a lot of places mostly for smaller tunas like Skipjack and Longfin Tunas . Most of the comm. Albacore (Longfin) were caught in this mannner or trolling before Longline/Gillnetting got popular . San Diego still had a large fleet into the 60's/early 70's . When you hear the term the fishing was "Full Rack" it used to mean that all hands were in the racks lift poling and the only crew members that were not were chumming or steering the boat .

JBird
11-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Wonder how many of those guys got and unwanted ear peircing...